“The things that make me different
are the things that make me.”
-A. A. Milne
Deciding to pursue individual therapy is a difficult yet rewarding decision. It is not often that we give ourselves the time and attention to focus on our inner world of feelings, frustrations and desires.
Women often struggle with self-worth. Negative self talk such as “I’m not enough,” “What’s wrong with me?,” and “I feel like I don’t matter,” may lead to depression, anxiety and overall feelings of unhappiness. You may find yourself coping through disordered eating, using drugs or alcohol, binge shopping, being sexually reckless or using your relationships to define you. These actions may temporarily feel good, but usually we end up feeling worse. The most important task we have as women is to learn to value ourselves. Looking at uncomfortable feelings and learning to understand our pain, can create an opening to a life of feeling powerful and whole.
Society has made it difficult for men to identify feelings and express themselves. Boys are often taught not to cry, to tough it out, and that feelings are weak. Yet as adults, the significant others in your life often expect you to be sensitive communicators. You may feel at a loss to meet these expectations, leading to feelings of inadequacy, frustration and anger. The process of therapy can provide you with the opportunity to identify your emotions, learn the tools of effective communication, and create feelings of self-empowerment that will enable a richer relationship with yourself and your loved ones.
What kind of Issues
can I talk about?
- Feeling depressed, anxious, scared or hopeless.
- Trouble communicating your feelings to others; Always falling for the “wrong” kind of person; Feeling suffocated, anxious or fearing abandonment in relationships.
- Using food, drugs, alcohol, shopping or sex to cope with uncomfortable and painful feelings.
- Being a victim of emotional, physical or sexual abuse.
- Grieving a family member or loved one.
- Struggles related to sexual identity and lifestyle.
- Low self-esteem and feeling insecure.
- Infertility, adoption, and parenting.
- Binge eating, bulimia, anorexia; Obsessed with body image; Over-exercising; Yo-yo dieting.
If you don’t see your concern reflected above, feel free to call and we can talk about what is on your mind.